So, a couple blog posts ago, I talked a little about Steve’s
homecoming from Afghanistan,
and something about “inspiration” on my part. I still haven’t really figured
out what all that entails yet, but I have an idea of what I’d like to start
with, but still have some work to do on figuring out how to go about it.
During Steve’s time in Afghanistan, I happen to know that
there were very few guys with him, that were married, or even had fiancés or
girlfriends. And there were a couple of them, that I felt genuinely sorry for
because I know they didn’t get as many letters or care packages as the others.
Not that they didn’t have mothers and fathers or siblings or grandparents or
whomever that cared about them and loved them dearly. But to be honest, the way
it generally works parents and other family are frequently more “out of the
loop” than wives, fiancés and girlfriends. Mostly because the SOs find each
other. Via Facebook, their husbands, the FRO. Parents don’t generally seek each
other out (although some do!) I tried my best to keep Steve’s parents, and
family (and mine as well) “in the loop” about how he was doing, what he could
use if they wanted to send a care package, and things like that. But, as I
said, there were some guys who didn’t have girlfriends or wives to relay
information to their parents, and their parents didn’t have a support system
that helped in relaying information.
The wives would frequently get together and make care
packages. Sometimes all of the unit wives would get together and make “generic”
care packages—for all of the guys in the unit to distribute evenly. So all of
them would feel included. But, there were also times when just a few of the
wives would get together and make care packages “together” but for their own
SOs—and quite frequently, at that!
That being said, I found myself feeling bad for those
Marines that were a part of Steve’s unit that didn’t have someone who was
sending them letters or care packages every week like the ones with wives
and/or very dedicated parents! I was fortunate enough, to be able to “provide”
for one of those Marines in a round-about way, just by sending stuff to Steve.
I tried to send LOTS of EVERYTHING that I sent, so he didn’t have to “give up”
one of the “treats” I sent him, by sharing. And I think every time I sent him,
the next phone call he received after he got the package he would say “Eckstrom
really liked your cookies”, or “Me and Eckstrom ate that whole thing of Oreos”.
I was so glad that he was sharing, and that someone else was looking forward to
getting MY packages that I was sending.
Now that Steve is home, and done, and I no longer have my
own Marine to send letters and care packages to, I really want to find someone
(or multiple others) that I can “adopt” and continue to send care packages to.
I don’t think that any of them should ever have to go more than 2 weeks without
getting a letter and/or care package. When you’re in the desert, facing death
every day, there isn’t a lot to look forward to. Not even weekends or holidays,
which essentially don’t exist over there. About the only thing, is mail. And I
would love nothing more, than to give as many of them something to look forward
to as possible.
This is probably the more “attainable” part of my desire. I
have been kind of trying to get the word out to other military wives and
families that I know that are still actively connected to the military, and
have husbands that are deployed. The easiest way to find out which Marines
aren’t getting much mail is to go straight to someone in their unit! I also am
hoping that some of the FROs can provide me with some names and addresses that
I would be able to use—and maybe help me get the word out so that someday I can
maybe have a “system” down.
The other part of this “desire” that still needs some work,
is my desire to have someone at a homecoming for everyone. I watched numbers
Marines get off the bus after a 7 month long deployment, grab their bags, and
head straight for their vehicles. No one there to celebrate their
accomplishments with them, no one there to welcome them home. I realize they
are not only men, but Marines—so they aren’t nearly as devastated as I am for
them. But I still can’t help but think that they were secretly hoping that
SOMEONE would be there for them. That SOMEONE would still be waiting for them
after 7 months.
Now, I’m not entirely sure how to go about this aspect of
it. Homecomings are the most incredible experience on the face of the earth,
and I would love nothing more than to go to the homecomings myself and welcome
them home and thank them for all they have done. But, I also think it would be
unfulfilling (for them), not to mention a little awkward, to have a complete
stranger standing there waiting for you upon your return. At this point, my
only possible idea for how I could do this, would be to find some way to raise
money to pay for family members to go out there, or to attempt to “raise
awareness” or how much it would mean to the Marines to have at least one of
their family members or friends there for them when they return. But, that’s a
lot of money that I have to figure out how to raise, and that’s a whole new
level of “connecting” with families, that might prove to be very difficult, so
I am still working on this part of my goal.
I have also frequently thought about joining the Ladies
Auxiliary. I have been learning more about what kinds of things they do through
the newsletters that Steve receives from the VFW. I realize that the Ladies
Auxiliary is probably made up of a bunch of old ladies—just like the VFW is
made up of a bunch of old men (plus Steve and his brother). But I still have a
desire to be a part of it. To be a part of the things they do. To use it as a
way to stay connected to our military and to help them in any way possible.
Unfortunately, I also found out that they hold their meetings at 2 pm on
Wednesdays—probably the reason it is only old ladies that are a part of it. I
wish they would hold their meetings in the evening so people who work could
attend. I am thinking about contacting them, and seeing if they would consider
changing it to better accommodate the “younger” wives in the area.
So there it is. My desire, my goal, where my heart lies. My
heart still lies with the military and helping people in it. Hopefully I can
find a way for my heart to be fulfilled.
No comments:
Post a Comment