Thursday, February 17, 2011

5 Years

I never imagined that I would be married at the age of 21. Actually, I never imagined that I would be married at all. I think I was the first one in my grade (except for those that got unexpectedly pregnant, or were part of what could be considered a modern day arranged marriage). Weird. I also never expected to experience all of the things that I have experienced in my lifetime at such a young age. But I’m glad that I have.

With my 5 year high school reunion coming up (I know, big deal—5 years), I have been thinking about my high school classmates and what they have been doing with their lives and where they are at—if they are married or engaged, or if they have kids. If they have found their dream job, and where they “ended up” and whether they are happy with where their lives are at. At the same time, I have been thinking about my own life, and whether I am satisfied with where my life is at right now and this is what I have decided.

Although it would be nice if I had a job right now, I am satisfied with where I am at. I am lucky enough to have experienced the things that I have experienced (I also never imagined myself living in a different state) with full support and encouragement from friends and family. I am lucky enough that I have parents who are willing to do a little more work and endure a “different” lifestyle than before so that my husband and I have somewhere to stay while we attempt to start life over in a different part of the country.

I have amazing friends (that I NEED to go visit soon) that always understood the things that I was going through. I always hear so many stories about friends “breaking up” while the boyfriend/husband of one is deployed because they just don’t understand each other. Luckily, my friends were never like that and were bigger advocates of keeping me busy so time went by faster than I was. And for that I am very thankful!

I am very thankful that I have graduated college, with not one, but two degrees. Although I still find myself wishing I could go back to school and take some more classes. I’m sure I will some day—maybe after all my loans from this time around are paid off!

I am also lucky enough to have a husband who puts up with me. I’m sure sometimes I drive him absolutely nuts but he still puts up with me. I’m so impressed with how good of a team we make and how well we work together to get things done—especially with all of the current “rearranging” going on with moving back. I’m so glad that he’s always willing to help me with whatever I need and that he doesn’t complain too much when I ask him to do something for me.

There are a few other aspects of my life that could use some repairing, but I am working on that now that I have a little extra time. Sometimes I am so blinded by all of the good things going on around me that I forget who blessed me with these things, and I forget the areas of my life that could use some assistance. My next goal is to work on these things so that maybe by the time the 5 year reunion rolls around I will have everything back on track and will be able to say that everything in my life is exactly as I want it to be.

1 comment:

  1. my 5 year reunion was LAMESAUCE. i happened to be in morris so i went. oye.

    10 years, though, i think will be a LOT different. i won't be in limbo, i won't be just about the meet the guy of my dreams, i won't be working 2 jobs trying to make ends meet. there will be so many things that (hopefully) i'm doing that i love, i will be advancing my life, my family and my career. i will be bettering myself, living for God, seeing where every step takes me.

    it was definitely interesting to see others, though, and to see how they hadn't really changed from who i thought they were in high school. a few were married and wifey, a few had kids, but most were still in morris, drinking their lives away and trying to be whoever they were in high school. i'm sure they're happy with their lives (i hope they are), but it definitely showed me that i want MORE for my life. i want more than high school friends and beer (and BAD beer at that!). i want a life that i can be proud of, that makes a difference, that helps others improve their lives.

    i think that surrounding myself with good people is the first step in doing that - and picking a good husband. it looks like both you and i got winners. awesome. i certainly wasn't where i wanted to be when my 5 years rolled around, but i'm glad that you're satisfied with where your life is at your 5 year. :)

    ReplyDelete