I frequently feel bad for my younger brother. Despite having
2 siblings (and now, 2 sibling-in-laws), he pretty much grew up as an only
child. There were only 2 years between my older brother and I so we pretty much
had a “built in” playmate (each other) which was vital when we were younger and
lived so far out in the country that we couldn’t just “ride our bikes” to our
friends’ houses. But with 11 year between my 2 brothers, and 9 years between my
younger brother and I, his built in playmates were both graduated from high
school by the time he was in 4th grade, and married when he was in 7th
grade.
I haven’t failed to notice though, that he DOES get to do
more things than Derek and I did as kids, and he gets away with a lot more
too—thereby making him the “spoiled child”. However, I have also decided that
no amount of being spoiled would make me want to trade in the memories of
playing tractors, building snow forts, hosting our own radio show in the
sandbox, or the time that we (I say we because Derek was CERTAIN it would work,
and I—stupidly—believed him) discovered that girls CANNOT, in fact, pee on the
tree while standing up—which is a few of the things that Derek and I did while
we were younger.
However I have recently realized another advantage he has to
growing up, being the youngest by many years. His own personal cheering section
at wrestling matches and other sporting events is 350% (or more) larger than
what Derek and I had. I wasn’t in sports really—2 years of softball was about
it for me—but when I was, usually it was mom and dad that showed up at my games
(which was fine, since I rarely hit the ball or made any “big” plays, or even
any plays at all). Grandma and grandpa would occasionally come, but with 10 grandchildren
they had to divide their time (understandably). Alec had his first (home)
wrestling meet on Thursday and I looked around. There we all sat—Mom and Dad,
Grandma and Grandpa (who now have 11 grandchildren, but with 5 that are older
and don’t have anything exciting enough worth watching going on), Steve and I,
Derek, Kolby, and 5 month old nephew Jack. That’s right—we were all there. The
cheering section of “2” that I had when I was younger, has since turned into a
cheering section of “9”. Probably the biggest personal cheering section there
that night. Although, if you’ve ever been to a wrestling match, you soon find
out that the entire crowd becomes this unified, almost magical cheering section
for ever kid that wrestles—whether they know them or not. And they. Are. VOCAL.
And even though this is completely irrelevant (as is a lot of stuff in this
blog post) I just MUST point out that on this particular night at the wrestling
match, I knew of at least 3 families who didn’t even have children IN HIGH SCHOOL,
let alone in high school wrestling that were there. And that was just the ones
that I knew and could see from where I was sitting.
Anyway, there we all were, present and in the flesh,
ridiculously early (except Steve who came later). When the time came, the
lights dimmed and the ‘spotlight’ was turned on illuminating the wrestling mat.
The music starts—“Sandstorm”—I had no idea that techno was still taking the
world (or at least the high school) by storm. And out they come running—around
the circle of the wrestling mat. My mom, always the avid sports fan (insert
sarcasm here), says “This is a little overdone.” I told her that they have done
this for as long as I can remember. In fact, I wouldn’t doubt that they did
this when Derek was in wrestling 13 years ago. I figure, that whole spectacle
got me kind of “pumped up” sitting in the crowd—I can’t imagine what it does
for them as they run around that circle to a song that they undoubtedly chose.
And if that’s what gets them excited and ready to go, then by all means,
“overdo” it as much as necessary! Alec was one of the last ones to wrestle.
We sat through many wrestling matches, of kids we didn’t
really know, and yet still got into the spirit of the “whole crowd” cheering
going on. I’ve never been one to be real vocal in my cheering—I’ve decided that
the chance that they are actually going to hear me is far to slim to justify
the energy it takes to yell it. Plus, what do I yell? My dad, being a state
champion wrestler in high school, can actually yell out useful information. He
can yell out what move the kid should make so he would actually be of some help
in the event that the kid hears his voice. Me? Although I have been to MANY
wrestling meets, I know very little about the actual rules of the sport—I know
punching and biting are not allowed, and that’s about the extent of my
knowledge. I can’t see what move the wrestler should make next in order to
escape whatever predicament he has gotten himself into. That means that my
yelling would consist of “Come on ________” What does that even mean? And how
exactly would that benefit him in the event that he hear my voice above
everyone else’s. It wouldn’t benefit him. At all. So, I usually choose to sit
there and cheer on the inside where my pointless advice won’t be heard by
anyone else. Maybe it would also increase the likelihood that he would hear one
of the people, like my dad, who is actually providing him with useful
information.
When the match got to the wrestler right before Alec, I
grabbed my camera and headed down the steps of the bleachers to sit on the
floor in front of everyone—knowing that my camera’s zoom is minimal, at best
(until I can save up enough money to buy a telephoto lens for it). I sat there
and played with it a little bit, photographic some kid that I don’t even know
as he wrestled another kid I don’t know. In an attempt to find some cool shot
that I could use when Alec was wrestling. And I finally figured it out. I was
so excited that I figured out how to do something cool with my camera that I
didn’t really KNOW about, but discovered by experimenting. Here it is (only
this is actually Alec wrestling):
Now, I know that if this same exact photo, in this same
exact situation were taken by someone
else, I’m sure they would have been able to make the shot at least 400 times
cooler, just by doing some other adjustment that I don’t actually know
about—yet. I also know that my fancy schmancy camera is capable of taking
photos way better than this. But I’m learning, remember?! That’s the whole
point of this. So, for now, I am satisfied with this. I had a vision in my head
of what I wanted the picture to look at, and through trial and error I figured
out how to produce it.
For the record, here is a shot similar (lighting wise) to
what that picture would have looked like had I just used my camera as a “point
and shoot” instead of making adjustments myself:
Either way, as I was sitting there on the floor, for the
first part of the match that Alec was wrestling, I was completely absorbed in
my camera. I wanted to get “the shot” before he either lost, or beat the person
he was wrestling. But as the match went on, and on, and on. I become less
interested in taking pictures, and more interested in how Alec was doing. He
was “winning” for most of the match. He always had the “upper hand” on the
other guy and was always in the better position. There was one point where he
got into trouble, but he was lucky (yes, lucky) that he was right on the
outside of the ring and managed to scoot/get pushed out far enough that they
had to get up and move to the middle again.
Toward the end of the match, I found myself yelling—like,
out loud, not just in my head—although still nothing worthwhile. And I’m pretty
sure I even threw in a few floor slaps—since I WAS sitting on the floor. I
could tell toward the end that he was getting tired (and understandably so) and
I think that’s why I was yelling. I was trying to use my energy to help him. Of
course it doesn’t actually work that way. They went all three periods with no
pin, but because Alec had acquired the most points during those three periods,
he achieved himself a “win by decision”, three points for his team, and his
FIRST varsity wrestling victory with his whole family sitting there watching
him.
I have nothing worthwhile to say, and yet wanted to leave a comment. This definitely has me thinking.
ReplyDelete