This is on my mind daily. Which should be reason enough to
assume that means I’m supposed to do something about it. But yet, I remain
frozen. Terrified. Unnerved. Trying to figure out “why” and “where do I go from
here.”
A year ago I was comfortable with where I was in life. Sure,
there were a lot of things that weren’t ideal Things that I would change if I
could. (Aren’t there always?) But overall? I was comfortable. When I took a
step back and really analyzed where I was, how my life ended up, I discovered
that it was good. That all things considered, I hadn’t done too badly for
myself.
And then, things started to change. Inexplicably. Things
that I loved started to get tainted. They started to leave a bitter taste on my
tongue and an uneasiness in my heart. Small things at first. Things that I
could (mostly) take in stride. Vent about. Then take a deep breath and move on.
But the small things started to pile up and turn into big things. Until I
finally found myself in my current position. Feeling that I am being ushered –
no – SHOVED right out of the doorway of the house of comfort I’ve been sitting
in for years.
I’ve tried to dig in my heels. To resist it. But. I just. Keep.
Getting. Shoved. The harder I dig in, the harder I get shoved. I dig in. I get
shoved. And then, I settle into the new, less comfortable way things are. And I
think “This is okay. I can handle this. It’s not THAT uncomfortable.” as I
adjust my position so the elbow in my back is just a little bit more to the
right. Then, when I think I’ve figured out a way to sit so I’m comfortable
(enough), another elbow pops up. And another. And another. And, seriously, how
many elbows does this guy have?! And then we graduate to feet. Because everyone
knows you can push harder with your legs. So I get shoved further. And further.
And harder.
Maybe I’m a little slow to figure things out. Maybe I’m a
little stubborn. Maybe it’s a little bit of both. But I’m beginning to think that
maybe there is someone who is sick of my ignorance and stubbornness and is
taking matters into His own hands.
The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder – is it
really that I was content with life? Did I really think that everything was
going just great? Or is it just that I was comfortable where I was because the
place I ended up became like home to me? Because I had been there so long. That
I knew what to expect. What was going on. Maybe it’s just that things were
familiar.
I am also kind of coming to believe that maybe God doesn’t
LIKE it when we’re comfortable. Maybe it provides us too much opportunity to “slack
off”. It can keep us from spending time developing our relationship with Him.
Because everything is “just fine” as it is. No need to change anything. It
keeps us from always striving for more. Maybe He shoves us to get us exploring
more. Thinking more. Learning more. To get us to realize that we are capable. Of.
MORE.
And yet, it’s still SO HARD to take that step. We all know
that the whole point of faith is that you don’t know what’s coming next and you
just need to trust. But, let me tell you, when you’re nearing the edge of the
cliff and you’ve got an infinite number of elbows and feet pushing you closer,
it’s not easy. It’s terrifying. You have no idea what’s coming. All you can see
is the edge of the cliff getting closer and closer and you can’t stop it no
matter how hard you try. Maybe there’s a just a nice easy trail that winds its
way down the side that will make you wonder why you were so terrified of the
edge in the first place. Maybe there’s a series of landings that gradually
stair step their way down requiring you to make some big leaps – not necessarily
an easy way down, but not the worst either. Maybe you’ll get there and there
will just be a sheer drop off and with the relentless elbows and feet at your
back, you will just have to trust that when you start freefalling, someone will
catch you.
The reality is, that we’re going over the edge one way or
another. And I’m sure that God would really just appreciate it if we would go “okay,
I see where you’re pointing me” and RUN, fearlessly, toward the edge, hurling
ourselves off with reckless abandon and straight into the plan He’s had for us
all along. But for those of us who are a little more stubborn, He’ll still get
us there. He has no problem pushing us up to the edge and then just giving us a
shove off. So that when we finally see what all the shoving was about we can
marvel at the way that He STILL pulls through for us. Every. Time. The way that
His plans for us turn out to be bigger than we could have ever imagined from
our place of comfort. Always. And the way He doesn’t let our own stubbornness
and fear keep us from His plan for our lives. Ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment