Sunday, January 23, 2011

Change of Age, Change of Appreciation

I think many people have read the saying about how the view of “mom” changes as the child gets older. But, I will post it on here anyway:

4 Years of Age: My Mommy can do anything!
8 Years of Age: My Mom knows a lot! A whole lot!
12 Years of Age: My Mom doesn’t understand me.
15 Years of Age: My Mom doesn’t let me do anything.
18 Years of Age: I’m an adult. My Mom can’t control me anymore.
25 Years of Age: I should have listened to Mom.
35 Years of Age: Before we decide, let’s get Mom’s opinion.
50 Years of Age: I wonder what Mom would have thought about it.
65 Years of Age: I wish I could talk it over with Mom.

I don’t know how true this is for other people, but for me, it’s surprisingly not very true. I think I skipped over the whole middle stage. I don’t ever remember thinking my mom didn’t understand me when I was 12, thinking she didn’t let me do anything with I was 15, or feeling that liberation of being out on my own when I was 18. I haven’t quite reached the 25 or 35 age yet, but I usually get mom’s opinion before I decide something, and realize that it’s probably wise to listen to her. So, either this isn’t EXACTLY an accurate representation of the changes of opinion (although it’s still a cute little saying!) or I am one abnormal daughter.

Either way, I have found that my appreciation for my parents has only grown since I hit my “adult” phase. Ever since I left for college and was ‘on my own”, what my parents tell me has become truth. Whatever they say is obviously what is best. And I am finding that I rely more upon their advice as I get older. It’s amazing how many things you realize you don’t really know how to do, just because you always had mom and/or dad there to do it for you.

Slowly I am beginning to learn how to make those big decisions on my own, but I still find myself calling my parents with questions about anything and everything. Where would I be without them? What on Earth would I do if I didn’t have them to call and ask all these questions? I have a feeling it would not be a happy life for me. I’m so glad that I have them I just hope they know how much I appreciate all of the words of encouragement and advice that they have provided me with and continue to share with me. I am honestly completely dreading when I hit the 50 and 65 age in this saying and all of a sudden the words become past tense. How will I ever survive without them? What will I do when I need mom’s (or dad’s advice). Hopefully I will be able to learn enough from them now, that I won’t have to wonder what they would have thought, I will just know. Or I won’t have to wish I could talk it over because I will just know what it is that they would say.

It will be nice to be back in the same state as them, so rather than having to listen to my dad explain how to change the spark plugs over the phone, he will actually be able to show us how. And rather than having to explain to my mom what the chicken looks like so she can help me determine if it is fully cooked, she will be able to look at it and tell me.

It sure is nice to have parents who are always so willing to help out in any way they can, and offer their advice and opinions.

Click to Print This Page

1 comment: