Thursday, January 20, 2011

If Home is Where the Heart is, Home is Minnesota


I think having my family out here helped me to feel better about moving back to Minnesota. They just left this morning and I already miss them and wish they could come back! As much as I like being in the warm weather of North Carolina, instead of the snow, cold Minnesota, I have decided that Minnesota is where I belong. That is where my family is, and where my friends are, so that is where I need to be.

With "Bob" who took us on a carriage ride in downtown Wilmington
I know that saying good-bye to my family would never get easier and that there is a lot that I would miss out on being out here. One of those things being able to see my first (if you don’t count the 3 through marriage) niece or nephew as a newborn and watch him/her grow up.

So, now I am finally looking forward to going home and being closer to those I love. I am beginning to be okay with leaving the military life behind and moving on to a more normal lifestyle. I still can’t promise that I won’t miss it, but I am at least beginning to adjust to the idea of it.

I’m so glad that this visit from my family came at just the right time to remind me just how much I love them and would miss them if we stayed out here. I’m glad that it opened my eyes to the life that I will be starting and how important it is to me, to be able to share it with those I love.

I am actually anxious to get back home and be able to “catch up” some more with my mom and dad, to see my sister-in-law’s growing belly, to be able to spend some time with my friends that kept me sane during the last deployment, and to see my grandparents and be able to attend all of the family get-togethers again. I can’t wait!

But, for now, I sent home all of my “I could be working on this” items home with my parents, and am going to attempt to just enjoy my last few days enjoying the warmer weather and the view of the beach with my husband, and try not to miss my family too much, knowing that I will be home with them in a few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. sounds wonderful. once you get all settled, we'll have to get together and catch up. :)

    ReplyDelete