Monday, January 10, 2011

Stress and Beauty


**this is actually the post from January 8th that didn't seem to make it up here! 

Today my husband and I went to get massages. And I came to this conclusion: massages stress me out. That’s right…they stress me out—big time. I realized, as I was lying on the massage table, that I can’t relax. I just can’t do it. I would consciously try to force myself to relax all of the muscles in my body, and I just couldn’t do it. So, a massage becomes a constant battle between my body and my mind. Not exactly the peaceful, relaxing experience a massage is supposed to be. On a positive note though, the masseuse said my body is in very good shape, especially my butt muscles—interesting. She said to “keep doing what I am doing” which is pretty convenient since I am currently doing nothing. Can do!

Then we headed down to downtown Wilmington to walk around the town and see all the beautiful historic buildings and houses that make their home there. Later I realized that it probably would have been a smarter idea to do the six miles of walking FIRST, then go do the massages. 

However, I decided along time ago, that if I was able to stay in North Carolina and live here for the rest of my life, Wilmington would be the town of my choosing. I just love it there. It has everything you could ever need, with the charm and history to boot.

The Federal Building

The Riverfront Park and Cape Fear River

The Visitor's Center. There are also many, many churches within about an 8 block radius that have BEAUTIFUL steeples on them..

The 6th Street bridge--look familiar to anyone?

The Riverwalk and the Cape Fear River

A sidewalk in the historic district

Cobblestone streets

One of the houses in the historic district...there are many, MANY more that are just as beautiful, if not more beautiful
While the pictures don't even begin to portray the beauty of this place (especially since it was pretty dang cold out and i couldn't be as creative as I would have liked), I think it's fairly easy to see how it has captured my heart. I'm so excited to go down there again and hoping that it is warmer so I can capture more of it's beauty without freezing my fingers off!

2 comments:

  1. i pretty much fall asleep every time i get a massage. i cannot WAIT for my next one... whenever that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would feel the same way about massages! In fact, I've never had one because I can only assume that I wouldn't relax.

    ReplyDelete