Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Life I'll Leave Behind

My husband is getting out of the military in about a week. It’s a little unbelievable and a little unnerving. This has left me really wondering what it will be like. The military has been involved in my life for the past four years, and it seems so normal and natural by now.

I can’t help but think about how much I am going to miss it. That’s right, I said it. I am going to miss him being in the military and all the things that go along with being a military wife. Despite the fact that there are so many challenging things that accompany this lifestyle, it’s an experience that I am finding very hard to let go.

Perhaps the thing that I will miss the most is the phenomenal support system that seems to develop amongst my fellow wives. It is unexplainable, and something that I know only exists within the realm of the military. A sisterhood of military wives. I absolutely love the girls that I have come to know that I share this bond with, and I wish that I could continue to be actively involved in that sisterhood.

Oddly enough, I will miss the deployments and the time spent away from my husband. While this may seem odd, there is something about a deployment that strengthens a relationship. And the indescribable feeling of what it is like when the love of your life returns home safely after 7 months is nothing to be ashamed of missing. It’s one of the best, and most rewarding, things I’ve ever experienced. And it reminds me to not take any of our time together for granted. It helps me to not get mad over the little things and to accept what life throws at me, no matter what the circumstances.

Over the last four years, I have always had constant reminders of those valuable lessons and have been able to see how they influence my life, as well as the lives of my fellow wives and others around me. I just hope that when I no longer have those reminders, that I am still able to remember the feelings that I’ve felt throughout the last four years, so I am able to continue to cherish my time with loved ones as much as I do now.

The life I’m leaving behind is definitely one to be proud of, and one to be missed. So, so long, Marine Corps. You will be missed! 

3 comments:

  1. I have a few tears in my eyes. You described word for word how I felt 5 years ago when we were going through the same transition. I don't know if the guys feel the same way, but I understand to the bone every word you wrote here. You won't forget the feelings, the lessons. Sometimes they may be a little dim, sometimes you have to stuff them away in order to properly move on, but those feelings will always be with you and shape who you are. What a great post....come back to it on those days when Steve is driving you nuts to help put things in perspective! This post just helped me to put some things back in perspective! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can honestly say that i do not understand what you are talking about.

    i GET it, though. it MAKES SENSE.

    the transition i'm going through right now, being married, getting ready to graduate and get my master's, being friends with college grads all over mn and nd, none of whom are in fargo, yeah. transitions are tough.

    they are times of unbelievable growth, though. the things i have learned from my friends being far away and not being able to hide in each other's shadow or under the umbrella of friendship are things that i wouldn't give up for the world. i'm learning to be more independent, to trust myself, to TRUST GOD, and so many more things. i KNOW that i can do it and i don't even have to have anyone tell me anymore, thought it's certainly nice to hear.

    these will be great times, my dear. you can now enjoy getting to know your husband again. the daily stuff - the little things. like... maybe he's really terrible at turning lights off and instead of getting annoyed, you see it as another reason you love that guy. the day to day is great too and i know that once you transition, you'll be better off than you ever thought possible.

    and don't worry, i'm sure there are ways you can convince steve to leave for a few days for some kayla alone time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahahaha...I'm glad you mentioned the "really terrible at turning lights off" thing..because he is really terrible at turning lights off. And I give him a hard time about it every time he forgets...

    ReplyDelete